Friends of Read Wildlife Sanctuary
The Friends of Read Wildlife Sanctuary is a 501(c)3 non-profit charitable organization, run solely by volunteers. Your donation is tax-deductible to the extend allowed by law. The Friends are dedicated to the preservation and enhancement of the Edith G. Read Wildlife Sanctuary, a 179-acre Westchester County Park on Long Island Sound adjacent to Playland Amusement Park and Manursing Lake in Rye, NY. There is a nature center and trails through many habitats, including deciduous and bamboo forests, meadows, marsh wetlands, tidepools, vernal pools, rocky and sandy beach and lake shorelines. The National Audubon Society has designated the park as an Important Bird Area. Membership dues support:
trail maintenance, conservation efforts, educational programs.
Please note, there are reasons for our rules!
1) Dogs are not allowed because they leave the scent of a predator and scare away wildlife.
2) Bicycles are not permitted on trails because they erode tree roots.
3) Hand feeding wildlife is not allowed because it makes the animals lose fear of humans, which leads to aggressive encounters or accidents.
4) Fishing is not allowed, and removal plant, animal, or mineral material denudes the park of natural resources and defeats the purpose of a "sanctuary."
5) Straying off the marked trails could destroy sensitive habitats.
Click on the link "MEMBERSHIP" to join/renew and receive/reactivate your FREE PASS through Playland's toll gates.
Renewals made now will be credited to the 2014 year.
Click on the link "VOLUNTEER" to find out how you can help repair the damage from SuperStorm Sandy.
Volunteer Work Days are on Saturdays 10:00am - 2:00pm (click link for "Upcoming Events" for specific dates)