Seek Sanctuary Art Contest
Re-emerging as a community to show gratitude for sanctuary
In recent months, we have all discovered a new (or renewed) appreciation for nature and community. Artists of all ages are invited to share their artistic view of an outdoor sanctuary within the City of Rye inspired by nature. Photos, paintings and videos must be within the boundaries of the City of Rye, including but not limited to the outdoor green spaces of our sponsors and partners, listed below.
- Friday, September 18 – Contest opens
- Friday, October 30 – Deadline for submissions
- Saturday, November 14 – Winners announced
Work may be submitted in any of the following six categories. One submission per category:
- Paintings and Drawings
- Mixed media (you dream it, we’d love to see it!)
- Young artists (5th grade and younger – all mediums)
Submit your work via our online form
PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED IN EACH CATEGORY
- $200 First Place
- $100 Runner Up
In partnership with
- FREE to enter
- Art must be in an outdoor space within the boundaries of the City of Rye, including but not limited to the outdoor green spaces of our sponsors and partners: Big Picture Foundation, Bird Homestead & Meeting House, Disbrow Park, Edith Read Wildlife Sanctuary, Marshlands Conservancy, Playland Park and Beach, The Rye Arts Center, Rye Free Reading Room, Rye Historical Society, Rye Nature Center, Rye Town Park, the Village Green, and Westchester Children’s Museum.
- Contest judges and members of their family may not enter the contest
- Each artist may submit up to one piece per category
- Each artist must submit their own work
- Submissions must be high resolution (for judging purposes)
- Photo & video files no larger than 10 MB
- Videos must not exceed one minute in length
- No watermarks or signatures (for anonymity in judging)
- Up to 5 images may be submitted for 3D pieces
- Note: Drone usage is prohibited
By submitting your artwork, the artist attests that they have followed all contest rules. The artist will retain copyrights to their submitted work. The Rye Arts Center, Westchester Children’s Museum and Friends of Read Wildlife Sanctuary (FRWS), etc. reserve the rights to use all submitted images for promoting our collective missions in any format and without financial compensation or notice. Where possible the artist will be credited.
AWARDS RECEPTION & EXHIBIT
Winners will be announced on Saturday, November 14, 2020.
If a physical awards ceremony is not possible – due to NYS restrictions, we will host a virtual ceremony on November 14. A physical awards ceremony and unveiling may be held if possible, when timing permits. (Hey, it’s 2020!) ☺
Winners and “honorable mentions” will be exhibited at each sponsor location where & when possible. Stay tuned for specifics!